Do you ever find yourself questioning the value you bring to the world? If so, you’re not alone. Many of us struggle with our self-esteem and often look to others for inspiration and guidance in this area.
But when it comes to building up your self-esteem, no one can do the work for you; only you can take charge of your life and boost your confidence and self-image. That said, it can be incredibly helpful to draw from the examples of individuals who have already achieved high levels of self-esteem in their own lives.
If you’re looking for some inspiration to reach that level within yourself, we’ve got just what you need! In this article, we’ll provide fifteen high self-esteem examples that can be used as a source of motivation to help get your confidence soaring.
Table of Contents
What is Self-Esteem?
Self-esteem is an important psychological concept that refers to how you perceive and value yourself. Having healthy self-esteem means that you feel confident and capable in yourself that you understand your strengths and weaknesses and recognize the importance of taking care of yourself.
How do we build healthy self-esteem? It’s a process of recognizing our positive attributes, celebrating our successes, avoiding negative self-talk, and taking care of ourselves as much as possible. Doing all of these things will help us to develop a strong sense of self-worth.
As an example, let’s say you’re feeling down about an upcoming presentation. In this situation, it can help to focus on your positive qualities: remind yourself that you’re a hard worker, have a good understanding of the material, and are great at public speaking. This kind of self-reflection can give you the motivation to push through any challenging situation with confidence!
High Self-Esteem Examples
These 18 examples of high self-esteem can provide you with inspiration and insights into how to build and maintain a positive attitude and self-image. From talking to trusted friends to practicing positive affirmations each day, there are many ways to cultivate and nurture your self-esteem.
1. They Take Pride in Their Work.
When it comes to having high self-esteem, one of the best steps you can take is to take pride in the work you do. Whether you’re at school, in the workplace, or just doing something for fun, make sure that you’re taking the time to appreciate your efforts and enjoy the process.
There are plenty of examples of individuals who have taken pride in their work and achieved great success. Think of people like Steve Jobs, who was passionate about his work and pushed himself to create products that changed lives. Or Elon Musk, whose vision and ambition created companies like SpaceX and Tesla that have revolutionized our view of technology.
You don’t have to be a world-famous innovator to take pride in your work. You just need to recognize how valuable it is and be proud of what you do. Doing so will help boost your self-confidence and set an example for others to follow.
2. Have Healthy Boundaries.
Having healthy boundaries is an important part of having a high sense of self-worth. This means realizing that you are the only person responsible for and in control of your life. Taking ownership of your decisions, feelings, and values gives you the power to take responsibility for yourself and not become a victim to anyone or anything else.
When it comes to setting boundaries, it’s important to be assertive and clear. Here are some examples:
- Speaking up when someone makes an offensive joke or comment
- Saying “no” firmly when asked to do something you don’t want to do
- Taking time out for yourself when a situation becomes overwhelming
- Not allowing people who are close to you to constantly belittle or undermine your accomplishments
- Not taking on too many commitments that don’t align with what’s important to you
- Letting go of people and relationships that no longer serve you, even if it’s difficult,
Setting healthy boundaries not only allows you to maintain your personal integrity, but it also creates a sense of empowerment that is key for building high self-esteem.
3. Don’t Compare Themselves to Others
Comparison truly is the thief of joy, and it’s something you should avoid when it comes to having a higher self-esteem. We all have different talents, strengths, and weaknesses; those are what make us unique people. If you keep comparing yourself to others, you’ll never appreciate the person you are.
Rather than being envious of what someone else has or has accomplished, take stock in yourself and your own abilities. Instead of thinking about how someone else’s life is better than yours, focus on how you can use your own individual talents to achieve your goals and make something amazing out of your life.
Moreover, strive to compare yourself only with who you were yesterday, not with the successes or failures of anyone else. It’s ok for you to be driven by wanting to be even better today than yesterday. Use comparison as an opportunity for growth and improvement instead of putting yourself down because someone else seemingly has it all together more than you do.
4. Embrace Change and New Experiences.
When it comes to high self-esteem, embracing change and new experiences is key. We can’t always stay in our comfort zone and expect to grow. Taking risks and trying something new helps us learn about ourselves, build on our strengths, gain confidence in our abilities, and develop creative solutions to life’s challenges.
5. They Acknowledge Fear
It can be scary to step outside of your comfort zone and create new experiences for yourself. To do this successfully, it’s important to acknowledge your fears whether it’s a fear of failure, the unknown, or making mistakes. Once you acknowledge the fear, this will help you take it one step at a time and create an action plan or next steps towards taking that risk.
6. They Take Time to Reflect.
Once you take the leap into something new, allowing yourself time to reflect on the experience is essential for self-growth. Taking the time to understand what worked well, what didn’t work well, and what could have gone better will give your insight into your own strengths and areas where you could use some improvements well as personal satisfaction from setting goals and achieving them.
These are some great examples of how you can practice embracing change and new experiences with high self-esteem:
- Learning a new skill (for example, learning how to paint)
- Exploring a new hobby (for example, picking up knitting)
- Visiting somewhere you’ve never been before
- Trying something out of your comfort zone (for example, joining a yoga class)
- Taking classes or expressing yourself creatively through art or music
7. Know Their Strengths and Weaknesses.
One of the best ways to have high self-esteem is to know your strengths and weaknesses. No matter how amazing you might think you are, there will always be things that you are not good at and that’s ok. After all, we all make mistakes and have areas where we can improve.
By taking stock of your strengths and weaknesses, you can be honest with yourself and develop the self-awareness needed to become the best version of yourself. Here are some tips on how to do this:
- Accept what you cannot control. While it’s important to identify your strengths, it’s equally important to acknowledge those parts of yourself that you cannot change. Accepting who you are and what you cannot control is key to building a solid foundation for high self-esteem.
- Build on your strengths whenever possible. Once you have identified what qualities you possess that make you unique or special in some way, focus on building upon those traits or skillsets in order to maximize your personal growth and potential success in life.
- Acknowledge unfavorable traits in a healthy way. If there is something that needs to be improved or modified within yourself, don’t be afraid to take a hard look at it in order to figure out how best to approach making improvements in a positive way. Even if this means seeking additional help from someone else for guidance or support!
8. Engage in Positive Self-Talk.
Engaging in positive self-talk is also an important part of developing high self-esteem. Positive self-talk is the practice of talking to yourself in a kind and encouraging way, rather than beating yourself up or putting yourself down.
When you’re feeling down, it can be tempting to engage in negative self-talk. Negative thoughts like “I’m a failure; I’m never going to get this right” can make even the most challenging tasks seem daunting. That’s why it’s important to use positive affirmations throughout the day. Little reminders that you can always reach your goals and do your best.
Making time for positive self-talk can have multiple benefits.
- It boosts your confidence and helps you feel more capable.
- helps you reset when facing difficult challenges.
- helps build resilience when dealing with stress or failure.
- can even help motivate you to start taking action towards reaching your goals.
Positive self-talk doesn’t need to be long and drawn out. Even a few words here and there throughout the day can make a big difference in how you perceive yourself and feel about situations around you. Giving yourself some encouragement or affirmations on tough days is a great way to inspire yourself, increase your confidence, and improve your overall self-esteem!
9. Exercise Regularly
Another great example of how to increase your self-esteem is to exercise regularly and eat well. Taking good care of your body with regular exercise and healthy eating can give you a whole new perspective two birds with one stone, as they say!
You don’t have to be a gym rat; just set aside at least 30 minutes each day for physical activity, which can range from taking a brisk walk in the park to hitting the gym or going on an outdoor adventure.
When you become more physically active, you’ll feel better about yourself, which can be a major confidence booster!
10. Work on Self-Care Practices
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do to help build your self-esteem is to work on self-care practices. Self-care isn’t just about doing things like taking bubble baths and getting massages (although those are both great! ), it’s also about making sure your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health all stay in sync.
It can be hard to make sure all four aspects of your life stay balanced, so here are some practical steps to take:
- Physically, you should exercise regularly, eat healthily, and get enough sleep.
- Mentally: Set reasonable goals for yourself, practice mindfulness, and surround yourself with positive influences.
- Emotionally: Learn how to understand your feelings and communicate them effectively.
- Spiritually: Connect with yourself and explore what brings you joy.
Taking regular time for self-care can help you build a healthier relationship with yourself one that fosters a better sense of self-esteem and confidence. So, take the time to look after yourself in more ways than one!
11. They Let Go of Perfectionism.
If you want to improve your self-esteem, one of the most important things to do is to let go of perfectionism. It’s great to aim for excellence, but striving for perfection can become a hindrance. Perfectionism often serves as a way of avoiding taking risks and can end up being more about fear than anything else.
Perfection doesn’t exist anyway. So why put so much pressure on yourself? Instead, celebrate who you are and the progress you’ve made by setting realistic goals and boundaries. Taking an honest look at yourself and appreciating your skills and successes, imperfections included, is key.
Remember that everybody makes mistakes, it’s natural! Don’t beat yourself up because of perceived shortcomings or past failings; instead, be kind and gentle with yourself. You’ll find it much easier to move forward when you’re not stuck in self-isolation or rumination; those two words that sound alike but have very different meanings!
12. Support Others and Celebrate Their Successes.
You may not think so, but having high self-esteem can mean having the courage to support and celebrate other people’s successes. Showing genuine appreciation for others can increase your own sense of worth and provide a confidence boost.
Here are some examples of how to do this:
- Offer compliments to those around you with words like “You have great skills,” “What a wonderful achievement,” and “You did an amazing job.”
- Take time out of your day to listen to someone else’s successes and offer your congratulations.
- Highlight the good qualities in others, like their intelligence, dedication, or creativity.
- Share stories about those who have achieved success and use these examples as inspiration for others to reach their goals too.
- Cheer on friends and colleagues whenever they challenge themselves or set a new goal. It will not only raise their own self-esteem but yours too!
13. Believe They Can Do It and Have the Courage to Try
If you want to build your self-esteem and become more confident in yourself, understanding that you can do anything when you set your mind to it is key.
Believing that you can achieve something and actually having the courage to go out and try it are two different things. It takes determination, courage, and perseverance to be successful.
A great example of this is Olympic runner Wilma Rudolph, who survived polio as a child. Despite the odds and doctors’ expectations of her never walking again, she defied all expectations and went on to win three gold medals at the 1960 Olympics in Rome. With enough dedication, belief in yourself, and a fighting spirit, you too can accomplish anything, no matter how daunting or challenging it may seem.
14. Acknowledge Their Needs.
It’s okay to acknowledge your needs, and that’s often a sign of high self-esteem. It might sound counterintuitive, but it’s very empowering to consciously accept your own needs. Doing so can be an important part of self-care and demonstrating respect for yourself.
Recognizing and then communicating your needs establishes healthy boundaries between yourself and others, helping you to maintain the connections you want in life. It also means that if you’re feeling overwhelmed or need some time alone, you can be open and honest about it. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page, including you!
In order to practice this high self-esteem example:
- Identify what your needs are. Does spending time alone help you reset? Is there a particular activity or hobby that helps boost your confidence?
- Have no shame in communicating what those needs are. Be up front with people about what works best for you, and don’t be afraid to say “no” if something presents itself that isn’t in line with those needs.
- Don’t let any negative feedback stop you from making decisions based on what you know is best for yourself.
By regularly standing up for yourself this way, it won’t be long before your sense of self-worth begins to increase significantly, and that’s exactly what having high self-esteem is all about!
15. Take Time Out for Themselves
Number thirteen of our examples of high self-esteem is that it’s important to take time out for yourself. You’ve probably heard this one before, but it’s worth repeating. Taking time out for yourself is often the last thing you want to do, especially if you have a lot on your plate. But believe it or not, taking time out can actually help your productivity and creativity and ultimately help you reach your goals.
Making time to do something that relaxes and recharges you can look different depending on the person. Maybe it’s taking a long walk, listening to some music, or just having 10 minutes of quiet meditation. Whatever helps you feel rejuvenated and energized should be part of your routine.
Here are some tips on how to take better care of yourself:
- Make a list of activities that bring you joy. This could include gardening, cooking meals from scratch, or playing a sport, so make sure you have time in your schedule for at least one item each day.
- Spend time focusing on yourself by journaling about how you’re feeling and what challenges you’re facing.
- Take 5–10 minutes every day for mindful breathing or visualization exercises.
- Get adequate rest, eat nutritious foods (not just junk food! ), exercise regularly, and spare yourself from too much exposure to technology.
- Rely on friends or family for support when needed. It’s OK to ask for help when life gets overwhelming!
Taking some “me-time” can make all the difference in terms of being able to manage stress and build up your confidence in life tasks, making sure that each day is filled with meaningful moments that
16. Practice Gratitude
Gratitude is a powerful attitude to cultivate. Being thankful for everything, big or small, helps you notice the good in life and counter negative thinking.
It can be surprisingly difficult to feel grateful in the midst of troubles and struggles. Here are some useful ways to practice gratitude:
- Keep a gratitude journal. List 3-5 things you are thankful for every day in a notebook or on your computer.
- Write thank-you letters. Take time every week to thank someone who has made an impact on your life.
- Focus on the moment: Take some time out of each day to reflect on what’s great right now, even if it’s something as small as being able to pet a dog or hearing your favorite song on the radio.
- Talk about it. Whenever you get together with family and friends, take a few minutes to share what you’re grateful for.
- Meditate: Spend some time each day sitting still and reflecting on all that you’re thankful for and how important it is in your life.
No matter how down you may feel sometimes, being aware of what’s good in life will boost your self-esteem, so make sure that practicing gratitude every day is part of your routine!
17. Develop a Positive Self-Image
The last example of having a high sense of self-worth is all about developing a positive self-image. This can be challenging for anyone, but it all comes down to pinpointing what it is that you value about yourself and reminding yourself that you are valuable.
One way of developing a positive self-image is to write down five positive attributes that you like about yourself and then repeat them daily as affirmations. This helps your brain to rewire its thoughts and patterns so that they are more positive and over time, you will begin to believe them, too!
Taking on a new hobby or learning a new skill can help boost your confidence while giving you a sense of accomplishment. Additionally, staying active and rewarding yourself for reaching goals encourages positive self-talk and gives you something to strive for.
18. Eating Well
Eating well looks different for everyone, but it’s safe to say that eating nutritious foods can help us feel better about ourselves. Eating natural, minimally processed foods that are packed with nutrients will fuel your body and mind in all the right ways. This doesn’t mean giving up all your favorite foods; just make sure you find ways to still enjoy them in moderation. By making healthy food choices, you’ll have fewer cravings for unhealthy snacks too!
Everyone has a unique set of life circumstances and experiences that may lead to low self-esteem. Whether you’re a teen, adult, or someone of any age, it can be difficult to build self-esteem, but it’s important to remember that it is possible.
Ultimately, building self-esteem requires creating a supportive environment and understanding the power of believing in yourself. When you take small steps each day towards developing a healthier self-image, you can empower yourself in the best way possible.
- Why Self-Esteem Matters and Tips to Build Yours Up, medically reviewed by Debra Rose Wilson, Ph.D., MSN, R.N., IBCLC, AHN-BC, CHT — By Sian Ferguson on November 8, 2022, Published in Healthline (https://www.healthline.com/)
- Why It’s Important to Have High Self-Esteem By Sarah Vanbuskirk Published in very well mind (https://www.verywellmind.com/)
Call to Action
You are worthy of respect, love, and happiness. Start today by taking one small step to improve your self-image. You can do it. You deserve it. Join our community of confident and successful people who are ready to support you on your journey.
Let’s Boost your self-growth with Believe in Mind
Interested in self- reflection tips, learning hacks and know thyself with ways to calm down your mind; We offer you the best content which you have been looking for.
Your privacy is important to us